Back to school season can be an exciting time – a fresh start to a new school year. This is the perfect time to schedule your dental check up. As you check off your shopping lists for school supplies and clothes, make sure to add a visit to your family dentist and also a time to review your dental hygiene routine at home. This will not only help your student start his school year on a positive note, but can help ensure he stays on track all year long.
Benefits to starting the school year with a dental check-up
- Allows your dentist to examine for decay/cavities, ensure proper growth and provide helpful tips to maintain a healthy smile all year long.
- Decreases risk for additional dental issues requiring additional treatment. The American Dental Association says, “prevention and early detection can help avoid pain, trouble eating, difficulty speaking and school absences”.
- Gives confidence to start the school year with a healthy and bright smile.
How to maintain a healthy smile throughout the school year
- When shopping for new school supplies, include new dental hygiene supplies.
- Brush and floss at least two (2) times a day. (For small children, make it fun by adding a favorite song or game to the routine)
- Pack healthy snacks that help protect teeth against cavities (i.e. cheese, apples, carrots, celery)
- Replace sugary drinks with good old fashion water
- When participating in organized sports, make sure to use a properly fitting mouth guard
- Schedule routine check-ups every six (6) months
Remember, in order to ensure a happy and healthy school year, we all must work together. See you at your next visit.
All services provided by MS licensed general dentists.